||Improving the Retrofitting of Existing Roads with Pedestrian Accommodations in Virginia
Amy A. O'Leary
Associate Director for Environment, Planning and Economics
VDOT faces many challenges when retrofitting existing roads with pedestrian accommodations, from project identification to completion. Such challenges include:
• identifying locations that lack pedestrian accommodations,
• prioritizing pedestrian retrofit projects,
• identifying cost-effective solutions,
• securing funding for needed projects and
• determining reasonable design features.
The purpose of this project is to research the above issues related to retrofitting existing roads with pedestrian accommodations, and to provide VDOT with recommendations to improve related practices. The scope of the project is limited to examining the pedestrian retrofit issues from VDOT’s perspectives.